How do you start your new year? Did you know that all over the world, different people eat certain foods on New Year’s day to bring luck throughout the year? Here are a few ideas if you are looking for a little more prosperity for 2010!
- Lentils are often eaten on New Year’s Day as a symbol of prosperity. Their round shape, which is reminiscent of small coins, are supposed to bring promises of riches for the new year.
- In Cuba, 12 grapes are eaten at midnight. Each of the grapes represents a month for the coming year.
- In the southern United States, eating black eyed peas on New Year’s brings luck for the coming year.
- Also in the south, eating cornbread is supposed to bring wealth.
- If you want to guarantee abundance of food in the Philippines, make sure to have food on your table at midnight.
- In Denmark, you would eat boiled cod on New Year’s Eve.
- To bring good luck for the coming year in Germany, you would eat herring at the stroke of midnight.
What do you eat on New Year’s to bring luck for the new year?