A few weeks back, I had a recipe on my blog that used aniseed. I had someone ask me what aniseed was and what it tasted like, so I decided to do a bit more research and share some facts about this lesser known spice.
- Aniseed is sometimes also called anise or anise seed.
- It has a licorice-like taste.
- Aniseed is native to the Mediterranean, so you”ll find it in many Greek and Turkish dishes, although it”s popularity has spread to many other countries.
- There are many ways that aniseed was used in ancient times for medical purposes. It was thought to promote better sleep, to help with digestive problems, and to get rid of lice.
- It is related to celery, dill, cumin and coriander.
- In Indian cooking, no distinction is given between aniseed and fennel.
- Aniseed is the flavor of Black Jack gum.
Check out the following recipes that use aniseed!
Have you used this spice before?